Thursday 29 March 2012

Quilting with Pretty Florals

This week has been rather a busy one for me.  Being the final week of school, it has meant parent/teacher interviews every day after school for the past couple of days, so that all takes up time.  Of course I'm also trying to make use of every moment during the day while the children are still in school, to run errands and do all the upcoming family birthday shopping, before the school holidays start.  As every mother knows - the key to family life running smoothly is organization!

The good news is that I have managed to squeeze in a few hours of sewing over the past week - how could I not with all my craft show goodies just waiting to be used?!! 

Quite some time ago I was visiting a local quilt store Faeries in my Garden and I bought a few Fat Quarters of the most gorgeous floral fabrics called Celebrations by Lecien Fabrics.  I just love them!!


As a bit of a side-line, if you have never visited, or heard of Faeries in My Garden, take a look at their website - it is only a small store but if you love pretty floral fabrics and enjoy doing embroidery, you will fall in love with this store.  Lesley McConnell, the owner, is a very talented lady and designs beautiful projects for the store.


Back to my fabrics though, when I was at the craft fair I found some fabric which blended in fairly well with the Celebrations fabrics I had.  I regretted not having purchased something from the range with a cream background, but the fabric I found at the craft fair was a compromise and it did co-ordinate okay in the end. 

So I began cutting squares and sewing them together.  I spent ages playing around with the colours and working out the best way to lay them all out.  This is what I have sewn together so far.



I am so pleased with the way it is looking but it will be a bit of awhile until I finish it yet.  I am considering options for a border - perhaps designing some type of applique border even, to frame the blocks.  I will post more pictures as the quilt continues to grow.

And yes, I am still working on all those triangles I shared with you previously.  I wanted a break from joining triangles though - and what can I say, I am the typical crafter who has numerous projects on the go at once!!

Enjoy your creativity!



1 comment:

  1. These fabrics are perfect for a Valentine's Day's quilt. Smart you are getting started early. :) By the way I shared your blog and Etsy store on my blog. Congrats again.
    Gail

    ReplyDelete